We Review The Top Hair Straighteners For African American Hair
Whether you straighten your hair regularly, or you just want to have the option to do so once in a while, it’s important to have the right tool to assist you in your style. No one wants to spend hours on straightening their hair and be left with less than impressive results.
Particularly with African American hair, which is much coarser, frizzier and sometimes very curly, this task can be more involved. Regardless of whether your hair is chemically relaxed or of natural texture, having a really amazing flat iron can give you soft, shiny and very straight hair!
When choosing a flat iron that will be best for your African American hair, high quality, cutting edge technology and high temperatures are factors to keep in mind. Flat irons on the market these days have many improved features including ion and infrared technologies, along with improved plate materials like ceramic, titanium, and tourmaline. There’s really no reason that you can’t find a flat iron to work well on any hair type.
The TS-2 Millenium iron is best known for its beautiful, unique, and contoured design. The sleek design was made with comfort in mind, which allows ease of handling and control. This may be this irons’ best feature as it’s a tool you’ll potentially use everyday. This flat iron has an ergonomic, ultra thin design that allows users to get very close to the scalp. Perfect for the African American texture that requires straightening right from the very roots, the nano titanium plates will create super smooth and straight hair with a temperature that reaches 450 degrees.
The TS-2’s nano titanium plates conduct great heat and resist corrosion, meaning these plates are meant to last. The smoothness of the plates allow even the thickest hair to glide smoothly through, creating a silky and moisture-holding look. Because this iron is so lightweight it allows for ease of use at any angle. The best part, the rounded edges makes it easier to get closer to the top of the hair root, allowing for a complete hairstyle. Also, this iron has dual voltage which means is perfect for worldwide use. The auto shutoff feature is yet another amazing benefit of the TS-2, which powers down after 60 minutes of non use.
Press to Find Out
With an outer case made by DuPont and a heater by Kyocera, Izunami has joined heads with some of the world’s best manufacturers to create this ergonomic and efficient flat iron. One of the best flat irons for African American hair, this straightener offers a warp free design, a 9 foot long swivel cord and extra long plates for ease of use. The titanium plates are durable and conduct heat very evenly to eliminate the risk of hot spots on your hair and the customized temperature control allow you to dial it up for stubborn frizz or dial it down for over processed, fragile hair.
This Izunami flat iron may be at a higher price point than the other irons mentioned in these reviews, but is certainly worth the money if you feel it matches your hair styling needs. The KTX450 was exclusively designed with Keratin treated hair in mind. The KTX’s titanium plates prevent static while also smoothing out and revitalizing damaged hair. Different than its ceramic counterpart, the titanium metal is scratch resistant along with being extremely durable. Not to mention, it is exceptionally lightweight for a flat iron, meaning it’s perfect for those who have a lot of hair to style and a minimal amount of arm strength. Because of its lightweight nature, the titanium also provides excellent heat conductibility and withstands incredibly high heat. Additionally, the KTX’s titanium plates resist bacteria build-up and they are non-toxic and non-allergenic.
Within the plates, two heat sensors regulate the temperature of the iron. The sensors simultaneously heat the plates so as to maintain a consistent temperature to prevent overheating. The KTX features a temperature dial that heats up between 250 degrees and 450 degrees fahrenheit. The friction-free floating plates prevents the pinching and pulling of hair. It also features a durable 9 foot swivel cord that prevents entanglement. This iron is truly worth the investment, down to the dollar. It rounds out the list as the most expensive yet the most efficient.
Press to Find Out
A popular brand of professional flat irons, FHI lives up to its reputation with this tourmaline ceramic iron. The 1 inch wide plates have beveled edges to allow the ability to curl, straighten, flip, or create body in your hair. The adjustable temperature control allows it to reach temperatures up to 450 degrees in order to tame your frizz and curls, which is particularly necessary for those with African American textured hair.
The FHI Heat Platform iron tool is the type of item you’d find in a hairstylist’s professional kit. This tourmaline ceramic iron is known for its signature red plates and even more well known for its durable design, considering its users will make use of the iron on a daily basis. This FHI iron strongly maintains a consistent heat within the plates and even heat distribution. The ceramic plates are actually three layers of baked ceramic that were then infused with tourmaline, which promotes the locking-in of moisture and shine, repelling of humidity, and reduction of frizz. The beveled plates also allow the user to style multiple hairdos from straight to soft waves and curls. The temperature control dial can be set from 140 degrees to 450 degrees fahrenheit. The cord is also a 12-foot swivel cord that also includes velcro closure for easy hook storage! Now that’s a feature that not many irons have today.
Press to Find Out
The T3 Single Pass Flat Iron was made to win over all those who use it and it’s doing a pretty great job accomplishing this mission. This intelligent flat iron is actually an award winner and is said to be great for smoothing and shaping even the most stubborn hair. This iron’s T3 technology infuses tourmaline gemstones (a mineral compounded with elements such as aluminium, iron, magnesium, sodium, lithium, or potassium) that are used to emit ionic, infrared heat that seals in shine and reduces frizz. Because of these factors and more, the single pass delivers efficient styling while applying consistent heat to the hair. Because this tool also styles fast and accurately, that means there will be less damage to the hair since there is minimal contact between the hair and the iron directly.
As the name of this tool suggests, straight and shiny hair may be achieved within a single pass. No longer will you have to run the flat iron over a section numerous times which makes this one of the best flat irons for African American hair. The technology behind this straightening iron includes unparalleled ionic infrared energy and tourmaline ceramic infusion within the plates to lock in moisture and create a healthy head of hair. This award winning flat iron is extremely popular within the professional beauty industry so you can imagine how well it works for home use!
Users can rejoice at the fact that this flat iron can actually create flipped, wavy, and curly hairstyles. We would recommend this flat iron to women with medium to thick hair types. It seems that the intense singlepass technology is sometimes too harsh on thin types of hair. However, for those who have hair that can withstand the “heat” will love using the singlepass and will be thankful for its ability to flatten hair that will then go on to last all day long.
Press to Find Out
Straightening Black Hair
Starting off with a suitable flat iron is the first step in gorgeous, straight hair. There are, however, some tips and procedures to keep in mind in order to achieve your desired style and protect your hair’s health.
- Achieving a beautiful style will start in the shower when you wash and condition your hair. Use products that provide enough moisture, don’t strip the hair with sulfates, and don’t leave residue that can prevent hair from being styled properly and damage the plates on your flat iron. Clean, moisturized and detangled hair is an ideal start to the styling process.
- Your straightening results will be improved if you first blow dry with a good quality hairdryer and a smoothing brush. Use a straightening cream or oil to help relax your curls and frizz and make sure that you get your hair completely dry!
- Sectioning your hair will assist you in getting through every part of your hair when flat ironing and starting at the bottom is ideal. Take one inch thick sections and don’t exceed the length of your flat iron’s plates with your section size. Many people feel that using a fine tooth comb to guide and detangle the section is extremely helpful. It may take some practice to maneuver but it pays off in manageability.
- Pay close attention to the hair around your hair line and down your part. If your roots appear frizzy then your whole style will look unfinished. A thin flat iron with narrow plates will come in handy for these areas.
- With most flat irons these days, you have the ability to add curl or flip to your hair, along with the main purpose of straightening. This will allow you to use just one tool to provide direction to your ends and create a smooth and frizz free finish. Tutorials and videos are available online to learn the curling method.
- Finishing your style with the appropriate styling product will improve its staying power, add shine, and keep it in place all day. For some, this may require a heavier product like a pomade or a paste to help weigh the hair down and prevent flyaways. Others may require something lighter like an argan oil or silicone based gel.
- Flat ironing your hair, regardless of the texture, is to be limited to no more than a couple of times a week to avoid damage from the intense heat. Although these tools are designed to maintain the integrity of your hair, too much heat styling will dry hair out and cause brittleness, no matter what precautions you take. Luckily, these are the best flat irons for black hair and will hold your style for days beyond the initial style.